What is Black Mold

What is Black Mold

What is black mold? Chances are, you’ve heard of this term more often than you have probably cared to. It’s been in the news a great deal over the years, but it’s important to understand why so many people talk about it. Black mold is a type of mold that can grow inside your home, and if you don’t do something to get rid of it, it can be extremely dangerous for you to be around. With that being said, how are you supposed to know whether or not that stuff growing all over your wall is really black mold? Keep reading to find out more information.

What Does it Look Like?

Black mold is especially easy to detect on walls that are painted white because of the color contrast. Typically, it is either black, gray or a greenish-black color. It tends to grow on walls, first starting in a small location and then spreading with rather dramatic speed. Often, it’s wet to the touch, although this isn’t necessarily always the case. In addition, it’s not a good idea to touch it with bare hands so if you insist on checking it out for yourself, at least do yourself the favor of putting on a mask and some gloves beforehand.

What is Black Mold

What Causes Black Mold?

Black mold is caused when moisture is present in a certain location, such as when a roof leak has been going on for a long time without being repaired. It can also grow when water pipes burst inside the walls, and the problem isn’t dealt with. You see this type of mold growth inside buildings that have been abandoned and left to the elements. Unfortunately, it also tends to grow in well-maintained homes, especially in areas where there is a lot of humidity. This means that place is like basements, bathrooms, and sometimes even attics are susceptible to it. Suffice it to say that if you have a room where there is a lot of humidity on an almost constant basis, you have a prime candidate for black mold.

What is Black Mold

Is Black Mold Dangerous?

There are a lot of types of mold that aren’t dangerous to be around, but black mold is in a category by itself. It’s dangerous to breathe in this type of mold or even touch it. It can cause a whole host of symptoms, ranging from symptoms that mimic allergies and the flu to much more serious diseases involving the respiratory system. Black mold can make your eyes irritated, it can cause you to have a runny nose, sneezing and it can even cause migraine headaches.

However, black mold zeros in on both the respiratory and neurological systems in the body. Therefore, prolonged exposure to black mold can cause a number of problems with your lungs and can even damage the neurological responses in your body. If this exposure is severe enough or it lasts long enough, the effects might be permanent. Therefore, it’s critical that you constantly monitor your home for black mold and have it removed as soon as you see any evidence of it.

Black mold has been in the news so much that people tend to be somewhat fearful of it. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. It can be exceptionally dangerous to deal with, especially for people that are more susceptible to it for one reason or another. If you already suffer from allergies or you have trouble breathing, this is only going to make the problem worse. At that point, having it removed becomes a critical issue that needs to be handled as quickly as possible. Thus, if you are in this scenario, then it is best to hire a professional mold remediation service.