Can I Remove Mold Myself?

If you’ve never had mold growth affect you, you’re a fortunate individual. If you have, you might have wondered if you could handle the problem on your own. Maybe you didn’t really know what you should do about it. The sad truth is that a lot of people don’t know what to do about it and as such, some of them don’t do anything at all. You might be surprised how many times people simply allow the problem to continue getting worse and worse because they don’t know what to do next. They may think that it’s beyond their capability to handle and it’s too expensive to have it professionally removed, so they just let it keep growing.

This sounds terrible, but it does happen.

Unfortunately, people sometimes become so confused by the whole situation that they’re not really sure what they should be doing. If you want to know more about when it’s safe to handle mold on your own and when it’s not, continue reading to learn more.

Can You Remove Mold Yourself?

Removing mold yourself is totally up to you. It all comes back to how comfortable you are with the idea of removing mold on your own, as well as the size of the project involved. If mold is more than a few square feet, leave it alone. Even if it’s just one or two square feet in size, but you know absolutely nothing about removing mold safely, don’t try it. If you’re confident that you can remove it without putting your own health at risk or without jeopardizing the health of others, it’s okay if there’s just a little bit of mold that needs to be handled. People get into trouble when they start trying to remove a large amount of mold without calling in professionals that know what they’re doing.

By all means, if you’re going to remove the mold yourself, at least do yourself the favor of wearing the appropriate type mask, so you’re not breathing it in as you’re cleaning it up. It’s important to know that buying a dust mask from your local dollar store is not going to protect you properly. You need a mask that is rated N-95 or better. If you don’t know what that means, go to your local hardware store and ask the person there to help you. They will be able to direct you to the proper mask. If you don’t have the proper mask, do not attempt to remove the mold under any circumstances.

How to Know When Enough is Enough

It’s one thing to try to handle certain situations on your own in an attempt to save money, but it’s another thing entirely to put yourself at risk because you don’t want to spend money hiring someone to do it properly. When it comes to mold growth, you should always err on the side of caution. If you’re not sure whether or not it’s safe to remove the amount of mold that you have, go ahead and assume that it’s not. By the same token, don’t soldier through and try to do it yourself if you have serious doubts about your ability to do it safely. This is something that has been said again and again, but it’s really not something that can be said too many times. Unless you’re confident in your abilities, it just isn’t worth the risk that you’re taking. If you’re not willing to do that for yourself, at least be willing to protect those that you love and refrain from exposing them to something that could hurt them more than it already has.

Summary

Mold growth is not something anyone wants to deal with, but it manages to find its way into basements and bathrooms all the time, not to mention virtually any other room it can possibly find the right conditions to grow in. It doesn’t mean that you have to bulldoze the house and start over again, but it is something that has to be dealt with as soon as it’s discovered. Leaving it alone certainly isn’t the solution, nor is getting right in the thick of things yourself when you don’t know what you’re doing. If you’re going to remove mold yourself, make sure you do it safely. Otherwise, you’re better off leaving it alone entirely.

Leave a Reply